[wayland HiDPI support, posible regression?]

microcai microcai at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 9 03:09:12 PDT 2015

As some one in the IRC channel told me, we should totally ignore DPIs when
design UI.

so, in wayland word, we design UIs in pixels -- no, in device independent
pixels -- and scales at pixel level.

so instead of using 9pit font, we using 8x16 font.

CAN you imagnaging how stupid this would be if the only supported scale is
integer value?

so, we have  eigther 8x16 font or 16x32 font, and more 11x22 font anymore.

font has to be "8x16" nor "16x32" only make sence at lower res,    81x162 font
and 82x164 font *BOTH*  looook goooood and they are not "integer scale".

What if in the future, we have very HI DPI screen so such 8x16 font is never
used, but 80x160 font and 100x200 font is very common and both feel native
good on two types of monitor?

so we are forcing two code pathes in APP? or just support non-integer scale?