[wayland HiDPI support, posible regression?]

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Mar 16 13:28:48 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 16 March 2015 at 00:35, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [blah blah blah]
>>
>> Events seem to be ok, but my complaint is that a large number of coordinates
>> in the api other than events are in integer logical pixels, not in high dpi
>> or in fixed-point. The offsets to attach are the biggest culprits. There are
>> also integer clip rectangles in the subsurface and scaling apis. Except for
>> compatibility there is no reason positions in messages cannot be in buffer
>> pixels.

'Except for compatibility', yeah. That's like saying that there's no
reason for me to have a job, except for the need to house and feed
myself. Kind of a showstopper, that.

Smart clients do not require buffer scaling. The scaling is there as a
fallback to make clients who are blissfully unaware of the constraints
of high-DPI screens still work: no more, no less. Clients who have the
smarts to deal with resolution/DPI-independence will _already_ be
doing smart layout which avoids the need for buffer scaling.

Any talk of throwing away buffer scaling (breaking dumb clients) in
order to fit the uses of clients who already today avoid buffer
scaling, is utterly pointless. Any attempt to handwave away the
disadvantages as nonexistent is disingenuous.

> Please do not take a thread started by someone who is obviously
> confused and side-track it into a discussion of things that you think
> are design-flaws in the current protocol.  This is not the appropriate
> place for a discussion of wl_surface.attach (x, y) coordinate systems
> and bringing that up only adds to the confusion.

Yes, exactly.

Yet again, this is something you have repeatedly brought up every time
something even tangentially related is mentioned. You've explained
your concerns over and over, and it's obvious that our opinions differ
and upstream will not change. Doing this makes it infinitely less
likely that your concerns will be taken seriously (cf. the
wl_keyboard_grab bug): the first reaction to seeing your name come up
in a thread is 'oh god, not again'. Which is a shame, as you do have
valuable input to offer, but it's drowned out by the amount that you
bang on about your pet peeves, with a total inability to accept that
someone with a differing opinion may just have a different opinion,
not be objectively wrong. Everyone loses: you don't get taken
seriously, we get frustrated, discussions get derailed, and people who
don't know better mistake your loud pronouncements for upstream's
actual position (or, when those differ from measurable reality rather
than opinion, a useful fact).

Be the signal, not the noise.

Cheers,
Daniel