Fbdev rotation broken

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 05:34:01 PDT 2015

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 13:02:34 +0100
Thilo Cestonaro <thilo at cestona.ro> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> > Just curious, why didn't you get the fbdev backend to work? Was it the
> > color format thing?
> >
> No, I got the color format to work, but I need to rotate the screen, and
> the rotation in fbdev doesn't work as expected.
> (I changed compositor-fbdev.c - weston_output_init() or so, to have the
> Transform which I wanted to try)
>
> Normal => 480x272
> 180° => didn't do anything here, panel still placed like in normal
> 90° => changed the image resolution to 272x480 but didn't rotate
> correctly, so half of the screen was invisible
> 270° => like 90° but the other side was visible
>
> But as fbdev doesn't support Transformation from weston.ini, I guess
> this code isn't thought to be work, right?
> Anyway I'm glad, drm with pixman backend is there! :)

Hmm, I wonder if we broke the fbdev backend recently with the output
matrix stuff...

Fbdev-backend intends to do the rotation when blitting from shadow to
front, but we already do the rotation when compositing to shadow.
However, the matrix changes we did weren't supposed to change where
each step is done, only the units, so I suppose this has been broken
for a good while.

Given that it seems there is no way to rotate an fbdev output other
than editing code, no-one certainly has tested it, and we should just
remove the remaining code that pretends to support output rotation in
compositor-fbdev.c. That might even fix it, too.