After exiting weston all consoles not working anymore

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:48:59 PDT 2015

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 14:42:39 +0100
Thilo Cestonaro <thilo at cestona.ro> wrote:

> > Is anything actually switching to vt7? I'm not sure what weston-launch
> > does there, usually it takes the current VT and you don't seem to be
> > telling openvt to switch.
>
> Nothing is switching to tty7 as I'm connected via UART so different
> output.
> Anyway weston starts properly on tty7 and is displayed correctly on the
> display.

Well, Weston may start and be displayed, but are you sure the local
console's current VT is VT7?

If it is not, the VT-switching logic in weston-launch and weston might
get confused if you do decide to switch VTs.

For the record, you switch the active VT via ssh with 'chvt' command.

> > Do you mean that the device stops responding in the network when you
> > say you can't open an ssh session? Like a kernel hang or panic?
> No, ssh can connect (I get the content of /etc/issue.net) but after that
> it hangs and will not ask for the password.
> Or if I had an ssh connection already opend, and want to "ps aux" if
> weston still running. I call "ps aux" and it will never show anything or
> stop. It just hangs in there.

Huh. I wonder if Weston(-launch) is attempting to control the serial tty
somehow...

Does a simple 'echo foo' work instead of 'ps'?

> > Are you unable to switch vts after exiting weston?
> Ctrl+Alt+F1? Never tried, but I guess if I can, I would be able to
> login, cause a login via UART (which is the same as locally) hangs too.

Well, would be nice to know if your serial tty is jammed or if it is
actually the login procedure... sounds like the tty, though. But that
doesn't explain ssh login getting stuck.

> > weston-launch is the proper way, as a normal user. If you use
> > weston-launch with --tty, I think you usually also want --user other
> > than root. IIRC these two options usually go together.
>
> I tried weston-launch without --tty too.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience in launching weston from a
serial connection. I would recommend still trying to use weston-launch
with both --tty and --user and using a normal user as the user, not
root.

You may need to be root to run openvt and/or weston-launch. Please try
also to make openvt switch (-s) to the new VT before it execs
weston-launch.

You might also try weston-launch with --tty and --user but without
openvt.