Fwd: Re: After exiting weston all consoles not working anymore

Thilo Cestonaro thilo at cestona.ro
Fri Mar 20 00:54:23 PDT 2015

Am 19.03.2015 17:24, schrieb Derek Foreman:
> On 19/03/15 09:58 AM, Thilo Cestonaro wrote:
>> Further debugging.
>>
>> I managed to start weston-launch from tty1 without --tty, --user and
>> openvt as a normal user.
>>
>> While weston is running I can switch between tty1-6 with Ctrl+Alt+FX.
>> When I stop weston (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), the display gets black and
>> switching the consoles isn't possible anymore.
>>
>> It looks like weston-launch recieves a SIGSEGV. At least gdb tells
>> this.
>> Sadly I cant get any bt as the "program no longer exists" :(
>
> ulimit -c unlimited
> before you launch anything, and the segfaulting app should leave a core
> file behind...

Will give it a try, thx.

> but I think what you really want to do is attach gdb to the running
> weston process (gdp -p <pid>), not start weston-launch under gdb...

AFAI can see, weston actually exits correctly all the time. I attached
gdbserver to weston in some tests.
And if I start weston (as root) directly, it was working. No problems
with weston directly.
If I run weston-launch as root, I get the problems (or as normal user).

> Very surprised to see weston-launch receiving SIGSEGV.  Even so, it's
> probably easier to attach gdb to weston-launch after starting it than
> go through all the trouble to use gdbsever.  :)

I'm on an embedded device which is running an ARM linux. I can't gdb
locally :).
(the linux is build via openembedded core - bitbake)

> Probably a silly suggestion, but can you try
> weston-launch -- --use-pixman
> and see if you get the same problem on exit?

Without logging? Will try.

> If you're connecting over serial, I'm guessing you're not on typical
> desktop hardware, so a potentially funny GL stack may be in the
> picture.

No hardware acceleration, no opengl, no mesa! Thats why I use
drm-backend with pixman.

>> GDBServer outputs:
>> Child terminated with signal = 0xb (SIGSEGV)
>>
>> BUT, the script which I start weston-launch from (which holds only one
>> line which is the launch of weston-launch)
>> is still running.... fork .... while(1) ?
>
> If the script is just weston-launch, how did you hook up gdbserver?

gdbserver has an option to attach to a PID.
gdbserver [OPTIONS] --attach COMM PID