Can speed of Wayland overtake the toll of emulating X?

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Thu May 14 00:59:44 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 12:43:53AM -0700, R . wrote:
> OK, so my test drive hasn't really been "fair", as I only tested Weston and not other Wayland implementations. But if you guys could suggest a less buggy and faster implementation, then please what is it? It'll save me the time, rather than trying each and every one.

Everything's under heavy development right now, so any comparison done
today isn't going to hold true in a month.

In addition to Weston, EFL and GNOME both seem to be pretty far along in
implementation.  KDE seems to be on track as well.  At this stage my
guess is all of them need thorough testing.  If you want to be an early
adopter my advice would be to pick whichever one personally interests
you, and plan to set aside a chunk of time each week to file bug
reports.  Be scientific in your bug reports, learn what log files the
given D-E likes, and be prompt with follow up for re-test requests.
You'll be helping contribute to the improvement of that D-E, while
simultaneously gaining better stability and performance for your
specific hardware.

Bryce