Can speed of Wayland overtake the toll of emulating X?

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu May 14 23:23:56 PDT 2015

On Thu, 14 May 2015 00:43:53 -0700
"R ." <ren_zokuken01 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so my test drive hasn't really been "fair", as I only tested Weston and not other Wayland implementations. But if you guys could suggest a less buggy and faster implementation, then please what is it? It'll save me the time, rather than trying each and every one.
>
> From: ren_zokuken01 at hotmail.com
> To: wayland-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Can speed of Wayland overtake the toll of emulating X?
> Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 00:04:42 -0700
>
> So I've been test driving Wayland and it has more lag than LXDE (understandably), and, of course, will get better... But, I'm more concerned with backwards compatibility (and speed) with old X clients (until, of course they eventually, port to Wayland). Since XWayland is another layer, so will inherently will add toll, but can that be completely overtaken by the lightness and speed of Wayland? I really need a minimalistic and fast desktop environment, you see...

Bryce is right.

As for Weston particularly, the experience you get depends heavily on
the hardware platform and software platform (graphics stack / drivers)
you tested it on.

For instance, if you happened to be relying software GL, I can bet it
would feel sluggish. This is even quite likely, if you tried it in a
virtual machine.

It really is not a measure of Wayland's perfomance in general. Wayland
is an enabler, not a silver-bullet implementation you could benchmark
in isolation.