Changing wl_output.transform type to unsigned?

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:44:58 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Jonas Ã…dahl <jadahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> > We'll see how that patch is received. If anyone complains it breaks
> > their thing, I think we have to revert it, because it is technically
> > breaking the stability rules.
>
> The most obvious thing that would "break" is that every client or server
> C implementation will suddenly get new compiler warnings and to be able
> to build both the version before and after the change without warnings,
> they'd need #if #else #fi macros around every such place.
>
> This is primarily an annoyance anyhow since the warning is mostly
> harmless.

The code could use just one #if to define GEOMETRY(x) to either be int(x)
or (x) depending on the protocol header version, and then call
GEOMETRY(unsigned) everywhere it needs to pass the enumeration to a
protocol function.

Though I think the best solution is to just fix the code so it does not
produce warnings for the newer protocol files and ignore the warnings for
old ones.