[RFC] Screensaver/blanking inhibition

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 23:33:27 PST 2015

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 14:42:04 -0600
Derek Foreman <derekf at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> On 24/11/15 12:46 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to think of a use case where you have, say, a dual head
> > configuration, and are watching something on one monitor but providing
> > no input for an extended period of time, and where the second (unused)
> > monitor should *not* powersave normally.  I can't think of anything
> > fitting that situation, but my gut suggests people are going to want it.
>
> Playing a full screen game on one monitor while a web browser is open
> with a cheat guide on the other. :)

You'll be providing continuous input through the compositor at the
time, so there is no chance for screen saving to kick in. Or is there?

If you are using an input device that is not routed through the
compositor, then I suggest there is a different problem of knowing when
is the user actually working on the system and I'd assume it would be
solved by the compositor, not by letting apps set up the inhibitor just
in case the input system doesn't know what's happening.