[RFC] Declare enumeration wl_output.transform as bitfield.

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Nov 30 13:42:06 PST 2015

Hi,

On 26 November 2015 at 14:47, Nils Chr. Brause <nilschrbrause at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Bryce Harrington
> <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 03:25:55PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> Sure, we can fix Weston, and with a strict version requirement on the
>>> protocol, we can make sure it doesn't come back. But what about
>>> XWayland, Mesa, GTK+, Qt/KDE, Clutter/Cogl/Mutter, GStreamer,
>>> Ozone/Chromium, Firefox, LibreOffice, and all the others?
>
> They will continue to work just fine. Eventually their respective
> developers will
> notice a warning and correct their code. If not, the harmless warning does
> absolutely nothing. I don't see a problem with that. :)

If they 'correct' their code (i.e. change it to the API we've broken),
then they get a warning on old versions. It really is lose-lose.

If it was a higher-impact change, then we would have good rationale to
do this, but in this case there's a relatively simple workaround, so I
don't think the benefit outweighs the annoyance we'll cause our users,
and subsequent reputational loss ('so-called stable API ...').

Cheers,
Daniel