Enums, bitfields and wl_arrays

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Thu Oct 1 10:49:02 PDT 2015

The topic of adding better enum/bitfield support to the protocol has
come up a few[0] times[1] in the past, and again more recently[2].  We
also have several proposed patches in patchwork, but I'm not sure they
reflect consensus and none have Reviewed-by's on them yet [3,4,5,6,7].

>From what I gather of the discussions, no one is really against this
feature conceptually, and impementationally the discussions appear to
have moved further afield.  It feels like we're real close to having
something that could be landed, but it's not 100% clear to me what
exactly to land.  Since it's a protocol types change I would prefer to
make sure it has a strong consensus before landing it.

I know that several people have proposed patches on this - Bill, Nils
and Auke at least.  Since there's a definite need for this, and since
agreement appears to be not far off, I would like to get this landed
this release.  And ideally I'd like to get this landed early in the
release so we give plenty of time for testing.

Since Auke's patchset proposalis the most recent, let's take that one as
the candidate for landing.  Gentlemen, I'd like to ask you to review
these three patches [5,6,7] and either give your Reviewed-by's or flag
specific improvements needed.  If you have a more conceptual
disagreement, and don't think the patchset is landable as implemented,
please raise that issue asap too.

Bryce

0: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2015-April/021438.html
1: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2015-June/023008.html