[RFC 1/2] Introduce wl_probe_visible protocol

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:16:28 PDT 2015

I don't see anything wrong with the compositor selecting the position for
popups, and really don't see any way this "probe" idea can do better. This
will avoid round trips, and also allow the compositor to move the popups if
other obscuring objects appear after they are created. There are a few
requirements however:

1. The client sends a desired position, and the result will be as close to
this as the compositor can do.

2. The compositor must send an event telling the client when the popup
moves and where to. This is not a global window position, it is relative to
the parent surface.

3. The client must have a way to move the cursor so that it remains pointed
at a desired widget. I think it would be acceptable to require the client
to request a position such that if unchanged the cursor will be pointed
correctly, and perhaps a flag indicating if the pointer warping is wanted.
This sounds a lot like pointer-lock mode, too.

4. This needs to be applied to subsurfaces as well as popups. One of the
many many reasons I think these two things need to be unified.

Some other random ideas:

1. Client may want to indicate an "important" rectangle/region, and that
area outside of that can be clipped.

2. For rotations I think the compositor should be allowed to clip off some
sharp corners, rather than strictly showing every pixel in the popup.