Enums, bitfields and wl_arrays in the .xml file

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 04:08:42 PDT 2015

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:25:51 +0200
"Nils Chr. Brause" <nilschrbrause at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Victor Berger
> <victor.berger at polytechnique.org> wrote:
> >
> > What I meant here is that the format and contents of the XML files is
> > currently defined by the implementation of the C scanner, which is a less
> > than optimal situation to discuss evolutions of this format.
> >
> > There will most likely be a need to write a proper document describing the
> > format of the XML files, as well as the semantic meanings of each field and
> > attribute it contains.
>
> Isn't the DTD file the specification for the XML file format?

No, it's not. It's an unmaintained relic waiting to be deleted. I
suppose it has remained as an informational reference.

It was once written for running the XML files through xmllint because
wayland-scanner rather crashed than complained about bad XML. The
xmllint phase was since removed on the basis that wayland-scanner is
our definition - if we need more errors, we should enhance
wayland-scanner.

See:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/commit/?id=05f95c85c8cad07bee233f1d4e205a12538365e1
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/commit/?id=6292fe2af6a45decb7fd39090e74dd87bc4e22b2

The DTD has never specified the semantics, like Victor points out.