Signed-off-by in Wayland and Weston projects

Derek Foreman derekf at osg.samsung.com
Wed Oct 7 09:21:38 PDT 2015

On 07/10/15 02:27 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 15:30:17 -0500 Derek Foreman
> <derekf at osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I landed this one but shouldn't have - we require
>> signed-off-by for commits.
>>
>> Could you re-send your other two with Signed-off-by?
>
> Hi,
>
> I think we've been quite liberal with the S-o-b. It certainly is
> preferred to have, but I haven't called for a re-submission in case
> it was omitted.

I just did a really quick check and we have just one patch in weston
with a S-o-b under a pseudonym, so even when it's been present we
haven't necessarily checked it for validity. :)

> Should we start consistently requiring S-o-b?

I've seen it asked for in patch review before, so I thought it was
already a hard requirement.

When I started contributing someone told me I had to S-o-b all my
patches, but I can't remember who it was.

If we don't strictly require it, I'd love to land 61060 before it bit
rots all to pieces again. :)

> If yes, would be nice to have it mentioned in doc/Contributing with
> a link explaining what it actually means.

Right...

Even then, without GPG signing everything, how do we know a
contributor is who they claim to be and that the S-o-b is meaningful
anyway?

That said, I'd love to have absolutely nothing to do with this policy
decision, and will happily enforce whatever requirements others decide o
n.

I just hope they don't make contributing any harder than it already is.
:)