I-beam cursor color changing based on the background

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 08:30:31 PDT 2015

That's xor of the color bits. The blue/red is due to xor'ing with the
subpixel antialiasing. It is more obvious if you put the cursor over a
solid colored area where you will see strange colors.

It cannot be achieved with Porter-Duff combinations. I am not sure if
OpenGL or DirectX supports it. I am also suspicious that overlay
hardware designed for cursors may not support it either.

This would either require adding something to Wayland to enable xor of a
cursor, or (more likely) you will have to just set the cursor to blank
and draw the desired graphics yourself.

Linux programs seem to use a white insertion bar with a black outline,
so it is visible against all backgrounds. This is despite the fact that
X11 still supports xor cursors, everybody dropped that as obsolete. OS/X
appears to use a black insertion bar with a very thin white outline (ie
partially-transparent white pixels). Both of these work with normal
compositing.