Xwayland location

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 08:36:02 PDT 2015

On 10/15/2015 12:24 AM, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 22:21:31 -0700
> Bill Spitzak <spitzak at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems like /usr/bin/Xwayland is hard-coded into xwayland.so. This
>> makes it not run local installed versions of Xwayland. I could not get X
>> programs to work under wayland without doing "sudo ln -s
>> ~/install/bin/Xwayland /usr/bin".
>>
>> I noticed this because I had no /usr/bin/Xwayland, but I am concerned
>> that if it really is installed, a developer will not realize they are
>> not running their locally installed copy.
>>
>> There is a configure option --with-xserver-path but it would help if
>> --prefix worked as a default (ie $prefix/bin/Xwayland).
>
> That would be a wrong default for me now, while it would have been the
> right default earlier this year. Either way, someone loses. That's why
> there is --with-xserver-path.
>
>> Another possible solution is to use an environment variable ($XWAYLAND
>> maybe?) as the name of the program.
>>
>> Maybe a better question is why the path is hard-coded, rather than it
>> searching the path for this?
>
> There is also a weston.ini option for the Xwayland path, see 'man
> weston.ini'.

The fact that it finds my xwayland.so file in ~/install, but cannot find
the Xwayland executable in ~/install bothers me a lot, however. It
obviously figured out where xwayland.so is from the --prefix arg to
configure and this really should match.

PS: weston.ini option is like this:

[xwayland]
path=myhome/install/bin/Xwayland