State of Wayland protocol development

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Sun Sep 20 20:28:08 PDT 2015

We can pick any number of strategies to deal with unstable protocols.
We can give it a special name, we can say that any version < 1000 is
considered unstable, we can use a special request. That's not too
important -- we're all aware of how to implement that.

The more important issue, for me, at least, is how to deal with the
gatekeeper-ness of Wayland and resulting slow development. I do think
it would be nice to have a place for protocols to flounder on their
own that isn't Weston, and isn't GNOME/KDE/EFL. I also think it should
be possible to install these by default, but put them in an unstable/
directory, so that users who want to play around with a protocol can
do that.

I would be fine with checking these protocols into the wayland repo,
or having a separate repo for them, but I do think they need a home,
where a lot of people can hack on experimental stuff without having to
go through a mailing list.

Additionally, I think we should start building tools and
infrastructure so that people can use distributed protocol files --
putting everything in wayland.xml and turning it into C ABI isn't
particularly appealing to me.

  Jasper