State of Wayland protocol development

Derek Foreman derekf at osg.samsung.com
Fri Sep 25 10:02:00 PDT 2015

On 20/09/15 10:49 PM, Jonas Ådahl wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 08:28:08PM -0700, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
>> We can pick any number of strategies to deal with unstable protocols.
>> We can give it a special name, we can say that any version < 1000 is
>> considered unstable, we can use a special request. That's not too
>> important -- we're all aware of how to implement that.
>>
>> The more important issue, for me, at least, is how to deal with the
>> gatekeeper-ness of Wayland and resulting slow development.
>
> Indeed. The point of this thread is to come up with a way to deal with
> this more efficiently.
>

>> I do think
>> it would be nice to have a place for protocols to flounder on their
>> own that isn't Weston, and isn't GNOME/KDE/EFL. I also think it should
>> be possible to install these by default, but put them in an unstable/
>> directory, so that users who want to play around with a protocol can
>> do that.
>
> I think it would make sense to have such a repository if we decide that
> an unstable protocol we agree on should be part of the stable set of
> official extensions does NOT need a weston implementation to get that
> status, it'd make sense to have a wayland-protocol repository for this.

We've already decided that weston isn't a "desktop environment", so it
seems like a next logical step is concluding that there will be protocol
intended to be shared amongst desktop environments that weston is not
going to implement?

>> I would be fine with checking these protocols into the wayland repo,
>> or having a separate repo for them, but I do think they need a home,
>> where a lot of people can hack on experimental stuff without having to
>> go through a mailing list.
>
> I don't think people should be able to hack and make arbitrary changes
> to protocols that should be considered a common ground without having to
> got through public review. The point of going through a central point is
> to have it peer reviewed and stamped "good enough" for an in-progress
> protocol that is deemed to, some time in the future, be declared a stable
> official protocol extension. I'm not objecting to the current ways of
> having requirements on things like we have, just that we need to adjust
> our requirements so that we can lower the barrier some, not completely.

While keeping the peer review requirement, moving some protocol out of
weston removes the need to get a weston implementation peer reviewed at
the same time as the protocol changes...  (I'm not 100% sure that's a
good thing, though.  Certainly EFL has used weston's impementations as
reference for a few bits of protocol.)

> For faster iteration protocol development without any need for peer
> review and discussion could IMO just live in topic branches, and when
> there is something that seems like a thing that can be implemented in
> more than one place, it could go through our public peer review process
> and later be released as part of a wayland-protocol or weston release.

I worry about multiple branches making it hard to use multiple "bleeding
edge" protocol specs at the same time - though I have no better ideas.

> Also, for making unstable protocol installable, we'd have to make them
> installed on a per release directory, and a user of these have to have
> non-trivial version tracking in order to get the correct XML from the
> correct release

This would be a nice problem to solve, though. :/

Right now I think we're all just copying xml files from weston into
other repositories, which is far from ideal.