Where to find most current draft of xdg-shell?

Jonas Ã…dahl jadahl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 12:57:14 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 02:32:08PM +0200, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> Hi Wayland devs,
>
> finally adding xdg-shell support in KWayland and KWin became the top-most item
> on my todo list. But I'm wondering: where do I find the most recent protocol
> draft and test clients for them?

Hi,

Thats great news!

The draft that is implemented in weston, mutter and various other
places is the "unstable version 5"[0] one, which you can find in
wayland-protocols release in
unstable/xdg-shell/xdg-shell-unstable-v5.xml.

As you might have seen here on the list we are currently working on
updating xdg-shell to fix various issues in v5. The current draft of the
v6 you can find on the branch wip/xdg-shell-unstable-v6 in
wayland-protocols repository[1].

In short, the accepted changes include semantical changes/clarifications
to when a client should attach buffers and how its surfaces are
configured, as well as a size limit hint (that was merged today).

There is also a proposed set of changes[2] that restructures the
interface layout, makes it possible to create non-grabbing popups (meant
to be used for tooltips and other popups that doesn't grab input), and
adds a method to make sure surfaces are positioned within the work area
region.

Note that there is so far no implementation of any xdg-shell unstable
v6 anywhere, since it is still evolving.

Feedback on the current draft and the proposed changes would of course
be very appreciated.

Jonas

[0] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/tree/unstable/xdg-shell/xdg-shell-unstable-v5.xml
[1] https://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/log/?h=wip%2Fxdg-shell-unstable-v6