Feedback on xdg-shell v5

Mike Blumenkrantz michael.blumenkrantz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:06:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 4:38 AM Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, April 28, 2016 5:36:58 PM CEST Jonas Ã…dahl wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:36:14AM +0200, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > > Hi Wayland and Plasma,
> > >
> > > I finished the implementation of xdg-shell in KWayland [1] and KWin
> [2].
> > > Overall it was more straight forward than I would have expected.
> > > Especially
> > > the changes to KWin were surprisingly minor (with one huge exception).
> > >
> > > Now some questions/remarks:
> > > * What's a server supposed to do in use_unstable_version?
> >
> > If a client requests the wrong version, the compositor should send an
> > error, effectively disconnecting the client.
> >
> > Note that this request is gone in v6 and is replaced by the same
> > unstable-protocol-version semantics used in wayland-protocols.
>
> Ok, that's what I though it is. I was just very unsure as killing the
> client
> is nothing I would consider "negotiate version" :-P
>

> > > * Why is the ping on the shell and not on the surface? I would have
> > > expected to ping the surface. At least that's how I would want to do it
> > > from KWin.
> > Because you don't ping a surface, you ping the client. It's the client
> > that may be inresponsive, and if the client is in responsive, it's safe
> > to assume all its surfaces are as well.
>
> Sorry, but I doubt this will work in practice. I have experienced many
> freezes
> with QtWayland applications and in all cases it would respond to the ping.
> Consider:
> * Thread 1: dead-locked waiting for a frame callback
> * Thread 2: Wayland connection getting ping, thread alive, will send pong
>
> I fear that the concept of pinging clients doesn't work in a world where
> connections are in a thread.
>
> Anyway if it's about whether the client is responsive, I suggest to make
> it a
> dedicated protocol. It's not really something which belongs to xdg-shell,
> it's
> a more general concept.

I disagree that ping should be outside xdg-shell. The spec for this is
perfectly functional and has been successfully implemented by a number of
compositors/toolkits; claiming that you doubt its practicality based on
your choice to add complexity by using threads (and the bugs that you've
described in your implementation) is not a strong argument towards proving
that ping is not able to be successfully implemented.

> > > * Would it be possible to split the states and geometry? I find it
> weird
> > > that I have to send a configure request with a size of 0/0 when
> informing
> > > a surface that it's active.
> >
> > Possible - yes, worth it? I don't know. It's clearly specified that
> > 0 means "let the client come up with it". If you think there is a clear
> > benefit, you're welcome to send a patch targeting v6.
>
> Yes, I think it might be worth it. I don't want that the client starts to
> think it can pick a different size when it becomes active.

Compositors can continue to send sizes for all configure events. There is
nothing in the spec which prohibits this behavior, it only says that sizes
may be omitted.