Introduction and updates from NVIDIA

James Jones jajones at nvidia.com
Fri Apr 29 21:16:28 UTC 2016

I was on leave when this discussion was started.  Now that I'm back, I'd
like to respond to a few points raised below:

On 03/29/2016 09:44 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> [...]
>> off versus Vsync on, respectively.  It shouldn't have anything to do
>> with the benefits of streams, but mailbox mode is a nice feature for
>> benchmarking games/simulations or naively displaying your latest &
>> greatest content without tearing.
>
> I agree it's definitely a nice thing to have, but it does bring up the
> serialisation issue: we expect any configuration performed by the
> client (say, wl_surface::set_opaque_area to let the compositor know
> where it can disable blending) to be fully in-line with buffer
> attachment. The extreme case of this is resize, but there are quite a
> few valid cases where you need serialisation.
>
> I don't know quite off the top of my head how you'd support mailbox
> mode with Streams, given this constraint - you need three-way feedback
> between the compositor (recording all associated surface state,
> including subsurfaces), clients (recording the surface state valid
> when that buffer was posted), and the Streams implementation
> (determining which frames to dequeue, which to discard and return to
> the client, etc).
>
>>> Secondly, looking at the compositor-drm case, the use of the dumb
>>> buffer to display undefined content as a dummy modeset really makes me
>>> uneasy,
>>
>> Yes, the use of dumb buffer in this patch series is a kludge.  If we
>> were going to use drmModeSetCrtc + EGLStreams, I think we'd want to
>> pass no fb to drmModeSetCrtc, but that currently gets rejected by DRM.
>> Are surface-less modesets intended to be allowable in DRM?  I can hunt
>> that down if that is intended to work.  Of course, better to work out
>> how EGLStreams should cooperate with atomic KMS.
>>
>> It was definitely an oversight to not zero initialize the dumb buffer.
>
> Right, atomic allows you separate pipe/CRTC configuration from
> plane/overlay configuration. So you'd have two options: one is to use
> atomic and require the CRTC be configured with planes off before using
> Streams to post flips, and the other is to add KMS configuration to
> the EGL output.
>
> Though, now I think of it, this effectively precludes one case, which
> is scaling a Streams-sourced buffer inside the display controller. In
> the GBM case, the compositor gets every buffer, so can configure the
> plane scaling in line with buffer display. I don't see how you'd do
> that with Streams.
>
> There's another hurdle to overcome too, which would currently preclude
> avoiding the intermediate dumb buffer at all. One of the invariants
> the atomic KMS API enforces is that (!!plane->crtc_id ==
> !!plane->fb_id), i.e. that a plane cannot be assigned to a CRTC
> without an active buffer. So again, we're left with either having the
> plane fully configured and active (assigned to a CRTC and displaying,
> I assume, a pre-allocated dumb buffer), or pushing more configuration
> into Streams - specifically, connecting an EGLOutputLayer to an

Not having a full mode-setting API within EGL did make this initial
configuration chicken-and-egg problem hard to solve.

I agree that EGLStreams/EGLOutput should integrate with atomic better
than is shown in this initial patchset.

Maybe a better way to achieve that would be to give EGL an opportunity
to amend an already created atomic request before commiting it?  E.g.,

   eglStreamsAcquire(dpy, <listOfStreams>, <atomicRequest>);

That would take a filled-out atomic request that does any necessary
reconfiguration and just add the new framebuffers to it from
<listOfStreams>.  Any planes that don't need a new frame wouldn't be
included in <listOfStreams> and would keep their current frame.  Planes
could also be turned off, moved, re-scaled, etc.  Whatever atomic can
express.

Maybe we would need an eglStreamsCheckAcquire/eglStreamsCommitAcquire()
to fail and/or hint to the user that the suggested stream+atomic request
produces sub-optimal results and should be recreated with more optimal
buffers?

In any case, the idea should be nothing would limit the atomic API usage
just because streams are involved.

> [...]
>>> references to individual buffers, this in many ways brings us back to
>>> tfp.
>>
>> Is that really an accurate comparison?  The texture_from_pixmap extension
>> let X11 composite managers bind a single X pixmap to an OpenGL texture.
>> It seems to me what was missing in TFP usage was explicit synchronization
>> between X and/or OpenGL rendering into the pixmap and OpenGL texturing
>> from the pixmap.
>
> I'd argue that synchronisation (in terms of serialisation with the
> rest of the client's protocol stream) is missing from Streams as well,
> at least in mailbox mode.
>
> (As an aside, I wonder if it's properly done in FIFO mode as well; the
> compositor may very validly choose not to dequeue a buffer if a
> surface is completely occluded. How does Streams then know that it can
> submit another frame? Generally we use wl_surface::frame to deal with
> this - the equivalent of eglSwapInterval(1) - but it sounds like
> Streams relies more on strictly-paired internal queue/dequeue pairing
> in FIFO mode. Maybe this isn't true.)

>>> Again, the enumeration isn't so much used as bypassed. The original
>>> enumeration is used, and all we do with the EGL objects is a) list all
>>> of them, b) filter them to find the one we already have, and c)
>>> perhaps replace their internal representation of the device with the
>>> one we already have.
>>
>> That's fair in the context of this patch set.
>>
>> In general, EGLDevice provides device enumeration for other use cases
>> where it is the basis for bootstrapping.  Maybe we could better reconcile
>> udev and EGLDevice in the patch set, but some of this is a natural, though
>> unfortunate, artifact of correlating objects between two enumeration APIs.
>
> Mind you, this wasn't intended as a criticism, just noting that the
> commit message didn't accurately describe the code.
>
>>> I'd like to look at the elephant in the room, which is why you're
>>> using this in the first place (aside from general NVIDIA enthusiasm
>>> for encapsulating everything within EGL Streams/Output/Device/etc,
>>> dating back many years). Andy/Aaron, you've said that you found GBM to
>>> be inadequate, and I'd like to find out explicitly how.
>>
>> Thanks.  This is the real heart of the debate.
>
> Yes!
>
>>> Through a few
>>> snippets of IRC and NVIDIA devtalk, so far I can see:
>>>
>>> 'We can't choose an optimal rendering configuration, because we don't
>>> know how it's going to be used' - (almost completely) untrue. The FD
>>> you pass to gbm_device_create is that of the KMS device, a gbm_surface
>>> contains information as to how the plane (primary or overlay) will be
>>> configured,
>>
>> Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but where does gbm_surface get
>> the intended plane configuration?  Are there other display-related flags
>> beside GBM_BO_USE_SCANOUT?  Then again, the particular plane doesn't

I believe Andy is correct for current discrete NVIDIA GPUs, but I think
the particular plane configuration does matter on some Tegra display
engines.

> Well, nowhere. By current plane configuration, I assume you're (to the
> extent that you can discuss it) talking about asymmetric plane
> capabilities, e.g. support for disjoint colour formats, scaling units,
> etc? As Dan V says, I still see Streams as a rather incomplete fix to
> this, given that plane assignment is pre-determined: what do you do
> when your buffers are configured as optimally as possible, but the
> compositor has picked the 'wrong' plane? I really think you need
> something like HWC to rewrite your scene graph into the optimal setup.

Streams could provide a way to express that the compositor picked the
wrong plane, but they don't solve the optimal configuration problem.
Configuration is a tricky mix of policy and capabilities that something
like HWComposer or a wayland compositor with access to HW-specific
knowledge needs to solve.  I agree with other statements here that
encapsulating direct HW knowledge within individual Wayland compositors
is probably not a great idea, but some separate standard or shared
library taking input from hardware-specific modules and wrangling scene
graphs is probably needed to get optimal behavior.

What streams do is allow allocating the most optimal set of buffers and
using the most optimal method to present them possible given a
configuration.  So, streams would kick in after the scene graph thing
generated a config.

> [...]
>> all the way through to scanout (i.e., zero-copy). E.g., if the wayland
>> client is producing frames that the wayland compositor is going to use
>> as a texture, then we don't want the client to decompress as part of its
>> eglSwapBuffers: the wayland compositor will texture from the compressed
>> frame for best performance.  But, if the wayland compositor is going to
>> flip to the surface, then we would want the client to decompress during
>> its eglSwapBuffers.
>
> Yes, very much so. Taking the Freescale example, you want the client
> to do a detiling blit during its swap if the surface is a valid
> scanout target, but not at all if it's just getting textured by the
> GPU anyway. Similarly, Intel wants to allocate X-tiled if scanout is
> possible, but otherwise it wants to be Y/Yf/...-tiled.
>
>> The nice thing about EGLStreams here is that if the consumer (the Wayland
>> compositor) wants to use the content in a different way, the producer
>> must be notified first, in order to produce something suitable for the
>> new consumer.
>
> I believe this is entirely doable with GBM right now, taking advantage
> of the fact that libgbm.so and libEGL.so must be as tightly paired as
> libEGL.so and libGLESv2.so. For all of these, read 'wl_drm' as 'wl_drm
> or its equivalent interface in other implementations'.
>
> Firstly, create a new interface in wl_drm to represent a swapchain (in
> the Vulkan sense), and modify its buffer-creation requests to take a
> swapchain parameter. This we can do without penalty, since the only
> users (aside from VA-API, which is really broken and also hopefully
> soon to lose its Wayland sink anyway) are EGL_EXT_platform_wayland and
> EGL_WL_bind_wayland_display, both within the same DSO.
>
> Secondly, instrument gbm_bo_import's wl_buffer path (proxy for intent
> to use a buffer for direct scanout) and EGLImage's
> EGL_WAYLAND_BUFFER_WL path (proxy for intent to use via GPU
> composition) to determine what the compositor is actually doing with
> these buffers, and use that to store target/intent in the swapchain.
>
> Thirdly, when the target/intent changes (e.g. 'was scanout every
> frame, has been EGLImage for the last 120 frames'), send an event down
> to the client to let it know to modify its allocation. The combination
> of EGL/GBM are in the correct place to determine this, since between
> them they already have to know the intersection of capabilities
> between render and scanout.
>
> That still doesn't solve the optimal-display-configuration problem -
> that you have generic code determining not only the display strategy
> (scanout vs. GPU composition) as well as the exact display controller
> configuration - but neither does EGLStreams, or indeed anything
> current short of HWC.
>
> Do you see any problem with doing that within GBM? It's not actually
> done yet, but then again, neither is direct scanout through Streams.

With new Wayland protocol, patches to all Wayland compositors to send
proper hints to clients using this protocol, improvements to GBM, and
updates to both of these when new GPU architectures introduced new
requirements, what you describe could do anything streams can do.
However, then the problem will have been solved only in the context of
top-of-tree Wayland and Weston.

There are far more use cases for streams or similar producer/consumer
constructs than Wayland.  Streams allow drivers to solve the problem in
one place.  Streams also allow vendors to ship new drivers when new
hardware appears that will enable that new hardware to work (and work
optimally, scenegraph issues aside) with existing compositors and
applications without modification.  That second point is a guiding
principle for what should be encapsulated within a driver API Vs. what
should be on the application side.

>>> 'Width, height, pitch and format aren't enough information' - this is
>>> true, but not necessarily relevant. I'm not sure what the source of
>>> this actually is: is it the gbm_bo_get_*() APIs? If so, yes, they need
>>> to be extended with a gbm_bo_get_modifier() call, which would allow
>>> you to get the DRM format modifier to describe tiling/compression/et
>>> al (as well as perhaps being extended to allow you to extract multiple
>>> buffers/planes, e.g. to attach auxiliary compression buffers). If it's
>>> not gbm, what actually is it? The only other place I can think of
>>> (suggested by Pekka, I think) was the wl_drm protocol, which it should
>>> be stressed is a) not required in any way by Wayland, b) not a
>>> published/public protocol, c) not a stable protocol. wl_drm just
>>> happens to be the way that Mesa shares buffers, just as wl_viv is how
>>> Vivante's proprietary driver shares buffers, and mali_buffer_sharing
>>> is how the Mali driver does it. Since the server side is bound by
>>> eglBindWaylandDisplayWL and the client side is also only used through
>>> EGL, there is _no_ requirement for you to also implement wl_drm. As it
>>> is a hidden private Mesa protocol, there is also no requirement for
>>> the protocol to remain stable.
>>
>> I agree that wl_drm doesn't factor into it.
>>
>> Maybe some of this is my confusion over what parts of gbm.h are
>> application-facing, and what parts are driver-facing?  We, and
>> presumably most hardware vendors, would want the ability to associate
>> arbitrary metadata with gbm_bo's, but most of that metadata is
>> implementation-specific, and not really something an application should
>> be looking at without sacrificing portability.
>
> All of gbm.h is user-facing; how you implement that API is completely
> up to you, including arbitrary metadata. For instance, it's the driver
> that allocates its own struct gbm_surface/gbo_bo/etc (which is
> opaque), so it can do whatever it likes in terms of metadata. Is there
> anything in particular you're thinking of that you're not sure you'd
> be able to store portably?
>
> Might also be worth striking a common misconception here: the Mesa GBM
> implementation is _not_ canonical. gbm.h is the user-facing API you
> have to implement, but beyond that, you don't need to be implemented
> by Mesa's src/gbm/. As the gbm.h types are all opaque, I'm not sure
> what you couldn't express/hide/store - do you have any examples?

If we could work out how to install vendor-specific GBM implementations,
I believe you're correct, the API is sufficiently high-level to
represent our allocation metadata.

> [...]
>>> offered on the server side, but instead the individual-buffer-driven
>>> approach is taken. It's true that VK_WSI_display_swapchain does exist
>>> and does match the EGLStreams model fairly closely, but also that it
>>> does not have universal implementation: the Intel 'anv' Mesa-based
>>> driver does not implement display_swapchain, instead having an
>>> interface to export a VkImage as a dmabuf. It's true that the latter
>>> is not optimal (it lacks the explicit targeting required to determine
>>> the most optimal tiling/compression strategy), but OTOH it is
>>> precedent for explicitly avoiding the
>>> VK_WSI_display_swapchain/EGLStreams model for Vulkan on KMS, just as
>>> GBM avoids it for EGL on KMS.
>>
>>  From your perspective, what would be more optimal than VkImage+dmabuf?
>
> Well, it's pretty much on par with GBM-compositor-Wayland-client and
> an EGLStreams pipeline ending in an EGLOutput. Not having something
> like HWC means that you can't determine the optimal plane-allocation
> strategy.
>
> On 23 March 2016 at 00:33, Andy Ritger <aritger at nvidia.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 09:52:21PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> Agreed. One of the things I've been incredibly happy with is how our
>>> platform has managed to stay completely generic and vendor-neutral so
>>> far, and I'd love to preserve that.
>>
>> I don't think you'll find any disagreement to that from NVIDIA, either.
>>
>> I apologize if the EGLStreams proposal gave the impression of a
>> vendor-private solution.  That wasn't the intent.  The EGLStream family
>> of extensions are, after all, an open specification that any EGL vendor
>> can implement.  If there are aspects of any of these EGL extensions that
>> seem useful, I'd hope that Mesa would we willing to adopt them.
>
> Indeed, this wasn't to cast any aspersions on how you guys have
> developed Streams. Having it out there and having these patches has
> really been tremendously useful.
>
>> We (NVIDIA) clearly think EGLStreams is a good direction for expressing
>> buffer sharing semantics.  In our ideal world, everyone would implement
>> these extensions and Wayland compositors would migrate to using them as
>> the generic vendor-neutral mechanism for buffer sharing :)
>
> But here's where my problem lies. At the moment, the 'how do I
> Wayland' story is very straightforward, and not entirely
> coincidentally similar to ChromeOS's: you implement GBM+KMS, you
> implement the ~25 LoC of libwayland-egl, you implement
> EGL_EXT_platform_{gbm,wayland}, and ... that's it. Introducing Streams
> as an alternate model is certainly interesting, and I understand why
> you would do it, but having it as the sole option muddies the 'how do
> I Wayland' story significantly.
>
> Getting away from the vendor-bound DDX model was something we were
> desperate to do (see also xf86-video-modesetting landing on GBM+EGL),
> and I'd really just like to avoid that becoming 'well, for most
> platforms you do this, but for this platform / these platforms, you do

I also have no desire to start creating a Wayland DDX system.  The fact
that we all seem to agree something like hwcomposer may be needed to
make things like Wayland optimal does not bode well for that, but that's
a separate discussion.

Yes, streams introduce a slightly different way of doing things than
GBM+the wl_drm protocol.  However, the differences are minimal.  I don't
think the patchset Miguel has proposed is that invasive, and as we say,
there's nothing preventing Mesa and others from implementing streams as
well.  They're part of an open standard, and we'd certainly welcome
collaboration on the specifications.  I hope we  can at least consider
EGLStreams as a potentially better solution, even if it wasn't the first
solution.

Further, another thing I'd like to get rid of is "implement the ~25 LoC
of libwayland-egl".  Streams let us do that.  I want Wayland support to
be the last windowing/compositing system for which driver vendors needs
to explicitly maintain support in their code.  Once we clean up &
standardize the very minimal driver interfaces beyond current EGL that
our libwayland-egl code is using, anyone should be able to write a
windowing system and provide hooks to enable any EGL driver supporting
the standardized window system hook ABI to run as a client of it.  The
same should be done for Vulkan WSI platforms, where the per-platform
driver API is already even more self-contained.  In other words, my hope
is that Wayland EGL and Vulkan support will soon be something that ships
with GLVND and the Vulkan common loader, not with the drivers.

Thanks,
-James