legacy X server isolation

pixelfairy pixelfairy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 08:39:25 UTC 2016

Pekka said
> The issue I have seen mentioned is that there are X apps built to *need*
the single shared X server model.

What apps would those be? Are you talking about ones whos functionality
would now be the domain of the compositor? At least in my own limited use,
i can tell you many apps dont need this. for a few months ive been using
x11 apps (firefox,chrome, gimp, libreoffice, some others) in separate xpra
sessions with firejail. occasionally ill have to do something like take a
screenshot outside of the firejails to get the whole desktop, then put it
in what my gimp instance thinks is the home folder (another option of
firejail). but, this is the behavior i want between apps. some apps, like
the gimp and libreoffice dont have network access (in firejail,
protocol=unix) and they still run fine.

> Somehow you would need to know
whether a new X11 connection should be isolated or sharing some
existing X server instance.

true. my first thought was new app == new x11, but there are iffy cases. as
you said, something already running with an x server, would probably reuse
it. launched in wayland without an existing x server should spawn a new
one. some apps could use wrappers. like a web browser running a pdf reader.