[RFC wayland-web] docs, web site, logo

Silvan Jegen s.jegen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 10:37:52 UTC 2016

Hi

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:54:29 +0100
> Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I think this is easily the lowest-priority issue here. It's not the
>> best, but it certainly works, and it's not really holding us back from
>> progress. It's also something that's relatively well recognised atm.
>
> I agree with Daniel on all points.
>
> I recall there is a good chunk of generated documentation that does
> not get published in the web yet. I think it's the generated
> protocol C API. Yes, it mostly just duplicate of the protocol docs
> generated directly from XML, but there would be differences: the C
> API is different on server vs. client side, and also a little
> different from the language-agnostic protocol spec.
>
> Getting also wayland-protocols docs generated and published with
> appropriate structure would be good. This I would consider the
> first priority of the four points. It should be almost just a
> matter of hooking up Doxygen to run somehow and making a place to
> upload the docs to.

I agree that this should be the highest priority.

Looking at https://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-web/tree/ the
easiest way to do that should be to add a script that generates the
Doxygen docs and then copies them to a subdirectory of the website.
Then the only thing left is to put a link to it into index.html.

I wrote a wiki entry for a simple doxygen config that could be used.
It can be found here:
https://github.com/neovim/neovim/wiki/Generate-callgraphs-with-Doxygen

> I'm curious on what you consider low quality on the logo. There is
> an SVG original of it, too. What would we tangibly gain from having
> a new logo made? Is it too easy to confuse with something else?

For what it's worth, I really like the simplicity of the site's design
as it is now and the logo and I don't see any need to change it at
all.

Cheers,

Silvan