Understanding Multi Display Support with Wayland/Weston

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:29:46 UTC 2016

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 12:36:13 +0530
Vikas Patil <vikasmpatil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to understand multi display support  with wayland/weston
> in any of the following mode with drm-backend and ivi-shell. Planning
> to use TI soc (Jacinto 6, DRA7XX) with linux to test multi display
> (dual).
>
> It would be great help if you could give inputs/information/suggest on this.

Hi,

you already got most answers, I'll just repeat here with one more
detail.

> 1. Extended Mode.
> - This seems to be available from guide from TI [1]. I assume this
> will be running one instance of weston with desktop-shell.
> - Is this posible with ivi-shell?

Already works by default.

> 2. Clone Mode.
> - Is this possible? How to configure this?

No, but there are patches waiting to be reviewed:
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/6627/

As for support in ivi-shell specifically, I'm not sure how the
ivi-layout API would support this. Might not be there yet.

> 3. Independent Driving.
> - Is this possible?
> - Are two instance of weston possible?

No, because each compositor instance will take control of the whole DRM
device at a time, regardless of which outputs it drives. This is by
kernel DRM framework design.

Thanks
pq