[RFC wayland-protocols] Color management protocol

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Dec 2 12:30:53 UTC 2016

Hi Nils,

On 19 November 2016 at 16:29, Niels Ole Salscheider
<niels_ole at salscheider-online.de> wrote:
> it has been some time since I proposed the first two RFCs for a color
> management protocol in weston. You can find the old discussions here:
>
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-March/013951.html
> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-October/017759.html
>
> During the discussion of the second RFC it became clear that color correction
> was out of scope for weston at that time.
> In the meantime wayland-protocols was split from weston and libweston was
> created. Several wayland compositors start to see everyday usage and wide-gamut
> screens became more common so that color management becomes more important.
>
> Therefore I think that the situation has changed and I'd like to propose this
> protocol for inclusion in wayland-protocols again.
> What do you think?

Yes, I think you're right, and it's time to start looking at it again.
Now Weston is a bit more mature/capable, the desktop environments have
caught up and are at the point where it makes sense for them to look
at it, and we have wayland-protocols rather than the old
weston/protocols/ dumping ground, it's probably the right time.

Cheers,
Daniel