[RFC wayland-protocols] Color management protocol

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Fri Dec 9 03:02:07 UTC 2016

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 17:32:37 +1100 Graeme Gill <graeme2 at argyllcms.com> said:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>
> > i'm curious... is the intent to make it requird that all compositors support
> > color management (and thus have to support all the possible colorspaces
> > defined)... or are we going to go the path of:
>
> I'd be happy if there was support for core color management (i.e. application
> color management), before adding layers that depend on the core.

but is the intent that compositors MUST support color management and
applications will fail entirely or fail to display even partly correctly if
compositor doesnt support color management or doesnt support the color
profile/space requested by the client? or will it be expected that apps need to
always be able to convert to sRGB for compatibility and then have added
colorspace capabilities if it's supported? what is the intent?

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com