[RFC wayland-protocols] Color management protocol

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Dec 20 17:02:54 UTC 2016

Hi Graeme,

On 17 December 2016 at 10:16, Graeme Gill <graeme2 at argyllcms.com> wrote:
>> then no need for any extension. :) compositor HAs to be involved to at
>> least
>> tell you the colorspace of the monitor... as the screen is its resource.
>
> As I've explained a few times, and extension is needed to provide
> the Output region information for each surface, as well as each
> outputs color profile, as well as be able to set each Outputs
> per channel VideoLUT tables for calibration.

That's one way of looking at it, yes. But no, the exact thing you're
describing will never occur for any reason. If you'd like to take a
step back and explain your reasoning, as well as the alternate
solutions you've discarded, then that's fine, but otherwise, with a
firm and resolute 'no, never' to this point, we're at a dead end.

Cheers,
Daniel