[RFC wayland-protocols] Color management protocol

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Dec 21 00:14:20 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme2 at argyllcms.com> wrote:

> But from the the calibration application writers point of view,
> to write such an application it's very highly desirable
> (i.e. may make the difference between such an application
> existing or not) that there be a standard API to operate this
> graphics system element, that is common and supported by the
> graphics display system that it is intended to "configure".
> What's the path for that, if it's not a Wayland protocol extension.
> Is there a standard Wayland configuration protocol that can be extended ?

Doesn't colord already push vcgt tag contents to the video card?  On
macOS, this is done through the display manager, no program directly
modifies the video card LUT. I'm pretty sure it's the same on Windows
in the modern era - it used to be every display calibration program
came with a helper program that would launch at startup time and apply
the calibration curve to the video card LUT.

--
Chris Murphy