[RFC wayland-protocols] Color management protocol

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Dec 21 10:42:41 UTC 2016

Hey Richard,

On 21 December 2016 at 10:30, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21 December 2016 at 09:14, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> so "just set the CLUT" is already an outdated approach
>
> This is another point: We're all talking about the
> least-common-denominator approach of setting the RGB 8-bit ramps on
> the logic it's the only way to set the white point without the
> overhead of a shader lookup. Most modern hardware actually supports
> some kind of *matrix* and LUT on the crtc output itself, although
> there is no common abstract interface that's provided by libdrm, yet.

Not quite correct; the split-gamma-plus-matrix approach is already
supported by KMS properties. It doesn't quite expose (or at least
enumerate; it might be there if you poke sharply enough) the full
spectrum of complexity that I just outlined in reply to Mattias, but
it'll get there I'm sure ...

Cheers,
Daniel