[RFC wayland-protocols] Add the color-management protocol

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Dec 22 06:20:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 20:44:24 -0700 Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> said:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:24:33 -0700 Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>
> > said:
> >
> >> So...
> >>
> >> Do applications (wayland clients) choose what compositor to use? Each
> >> application could be using a different compositor?
> >>
> >> Does it make any sense that there'd be three different classes of
> >> compositor: no-color management, assume sRGB color management, and
> >> full color management (all objects are explicitly tagged and the
> >> compositor is doing display compensation with the help of e.g. lcms)?
> >> Or am I missing something about compositors?
> >
> > your choice of wm or desktop chooses your compositor. choose gnome? it'll be
> > mutter. choose enlightenment? it'll be enlightenment. choose kde? it'll be
> > kwin etc. etc. etc.
>
> Aha OK. And how does Weston fit into it? Do any of them directly
> leverage Weston or is it just a reference to get Wayland support
> included?

it's the reference/test compositor. if you want a fully working desktop these
days it's gnome's mutter, enlightenment or more recently kde's kwin has been
catching up. there is a tiling wm called sway as well. that's the major
compositors that are actually meant for "every day" use. weston isn't something
i'd say is useful for day to day (not without a lot of extending/work).

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com