[RFC libinput] Add dial input device support

Andreas Pokorny andreas.pokorny at canonical.com
Thu Feb 18 16:35:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 11:51 AM, PrasannaKumar Muralidharan <
prasannatsmkumar at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: PrasannaKumar Muralidharan <prasannatsmkumar at gmail.com>
>
> I am implementing dial input device support and would like to get feedback
> on the code that I have implemented so far. Did not implement test cases as
> of now, any pointers on how the test framework works will be helpful.
>
> Smartwatch can use dial input, Car can use steering wheel rotation as
> input for maps may be. But I would like to know if dial input device
> support is useful before proceeding further?

Instead of car steering wheels I would rather mention rotaty knobs that are
common in car infotainment  systems to navigate through menues. Those are
relative - you never get absolute angles just rotation ticks.
But is that the type of device you had in mind? Those devices usually have
a bunch of further buttons.. so buttonset sounds like a good generalization
for those too.

regards
Andreas Pokorny