[libinput] How I get extra touch events using libinput?

Andreas Pokorny andreas.pokorny at canonical.com
Wed Jan 6 12:14:28 PST 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>
wrote:

> CC-ing Andreas this time, forgot about it in my original reply, sorry about
> that.
>
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 03:35:49PM +0900, 강정현 wrote:
> > In Andreas Pokorny patch, only support part of standard linux MT
> protocols
> > except ABS_MT_DISTANCE, ABS_MT_TOOL_TYPE, etc..  Do you have any plan to
> > support whole MT protocol events? Or These events are meaningless to
> > support via libinput?

This was driven by the axes provided by a few android phones and tablets
ubuntu touch was ported to. Which I believe resulted into a common set of
properties, shared by a lot of touch screens.

> > 3.
> > How can we deal with the additional MT protocol events in libinput, if
> our
> > kernel support more MT protocol events than the events listed in input.h
> > in libinput ?
> > Can they be supported ? Do you have any ideas?

The problem I think is that most of us have no influence both ends at the
same time: applications or toolkits and the actual hardware. If the end
result is a nice appliance I doubt anyone will object to extend the
intermediate components. But there also has to be some sane fallback or
default for when the information is not available.

I will get back to that topic soon.. I still need to add a calibration
option(s) to get the contact sizes properly scaled...

regards
Andreas