libinput: Disable tap-and-drag

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:49:19 PST 2016

The timeout can be avoided by sending tap+drag as
press/release/(wait)/press/drag. I don't have it here to test but I
remember hearing this is what some (all?) mac implementations do.

This requires libinput to also decide whether a click is a "double click"
or not, the fact that our software was doing it's own timeout rather than
use the system api is why I heard about this. Moving double click decision
into libinput certainly seems consistent with what is being done here, and
would avoid a big annoyance where different clients have different rules.
The fact that this "mouse gesture" is interpreted by clients on X is just
historical because X predates the double-click idea.

Searching on the web shows that recent versions of OS/X turned off
tap-and-drag, since all the discussion was from people asking how to turn
it back on. This indicates two things: first that somebody at Apple decided
that it was not desirable to a big enough set of users to change the
default, second that there is a non-zero set of users that *do* like it.