Regarding user data for wl_client.

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 01:42:03 PST 2016

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 12:30:51 +0900
nicesj at nicesj.com wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Currently, I'm writing a simple compositor for proving my thought.
>
> while implementing it, I found that the wl_client doesn't have the user data field.
>
> in the sever side, the wl_client is used in many callbacks for handling the request of clients.
>
> are there any functions like wl_client_set_user_data, get_user_data?

Hi,

these are missing from the API indeed. Another thing missing is a
callback to notify about new clients, so that you could properly
initialize your wl_client user data.

I believe the reason they are missing is just oversight. I cannot think
of a reason why having user data for wl_client would be a bad thing.
OTOH, there obviously are use cases for it.