Question regarding joystick/gamepad support in wayland

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Mar 3 06:13:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 01:52:26AM +0000, 박성진 wrote:
>    Dear Peter, thank you for your quick answer and I agree with you. :)
>
>    I have one more question below.
>

>    >As for the most desirable way to support joysticks in Wayland - we
>    don't
>    >quite know, it'll depend on developers coming and saying "we need this
>    and
>    >that", then we can start a conversation on what to do. But right now
>    it
>    >seems a logind-like approach to allow an application to open js0 or
>    the
>    >event node is quite sufficient.
>
>    Do you imply that there will be security issues regarding the direct
>    access
>
>    of the joystick node by an application ?
>
>    Did you mention logind-like approach for another reason ?
>
>    logind-like approach seems to be good for me, too, from the security
>    point of view.
>
>    If the joystick node is able to be opened by any application directly
>    and
>
>    (for instance) if a user starts a game application and tries to make
>    any payment
>
>    in the game application with a joystick, i think it can make a security
>    issue.
>
>    Of course, this is just an example and the payment for games needs
>    to be made outside the game application. :)

I worry less about the joystick node here and more about the ability to open
other event nodes that are keyboard, followed by sniffing every keyboard
event that happens. If you have a process in place that checks which devices
are joysticks and revokes them as needed, then this is mitigated somewhat.

Cheers,
   Peter