Accessibility considerations

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Fri Mar 11 22:01:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 06:51:35AM +0100, Timofonic wrote:
> Please consider mandatory high contrast option with custom colors. I prefer black background and green foreground, it's a lie better for Mr eyes because clear colors really tire me.
>
> Text-To-Speech and braille devices should be very seriously very taken in consideration too, please. I know many people work degenerative vision issues that will eventually very totally blind, some of them are Linux enthusiasts.
>
> Let the the client side decide isn't a good option at all! Not homogeneous behavior and many lazy efforts would make accessibility broken very often. I've seen that lots of times!
>
> And please consider to involve developers having related disabilities:They would know how to implement an usable accessibility, because they use it all time and as users know what's right or wrong on many software.

This last point is well said.  In particular, a question I'd ask is if
the current state of the art is considered "ideal" by the users of each
of those features, or if they're merely "acceptable".  If the latter is
the case, then that might suggest a deeper exploration of the underlying
needs might help identify alternative solutions better fitting with
Wayland's design principles that could potentially advance the state of
the art for these users.

Bryce