Questions about experimental Spice compositor rebase

Fabio Fantoni fabio.fantoni at m2r.biz
Sun Mar 13 23:09:50 UTC 2016

Il 12/03/2016 23:13, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:

> Il 10/03/2016 22:58, Yury Shvedov ha scritto:
>>
>> On 03/10/2016 06:04 PM, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
>>> In recent years have done too little programming and mymemory is bad
>>> lately.
>>> About the performance problem I remember something like a big
>>> problem also in xspice that seems improved a lot with deferred fps:
>>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2012-August/010276.html
>>> Can be useful for this project or with wayland/weston is possible do
>>> something similar in a different and/or better way?
>> Of corse this is useful like all the stuff you found in the net last
>> time. But you chaotically offers me many different things without any
>> result except my "OK, I will take a look". Because I have not much
>> time to investigate it with you. You are looking for the answers on
>> your questions in the internet, while I have a couple in the code. I
>> see good way for the next steps and have tried to explain them to
>> you. I'm afraid that you didn't understand them, so I'll try again at
>> the bottom of this message.
>> After that I suggest to decide and fix what we will do next.
>>> In the weekend probably I'll look better the weston code but I not
>>> know if I'll have needed freetime and knowledge for doing something
>>> useful for the mainly problem in a short time.
>> Maybe you better to do something in what you sure? How about fps
>> tests like ones in your link?
>
> I did a fast test with screen-share for see if it can works also with
> other compositor instead rdp but was failed and I not found nothing in
> weston log about.
> I tried to see if was possible have weston working local normal with
> drm (3d and good performance) and additionally add spice session and
> after check if was possible and better add a "deferred fps" in
> screen-share to limit the screen data that spice-compositor must
> elaborate.
> I take a fast look also to qemu and xspice code trying to understand
> the initial improvement to do about image processing but seems that
> qemu do operation with vm qxl drivers and xspice similar copied by it
> and using qxl driver.
> I I do not know if this is possible in other better way with weston (I
> have no knowledge to understand if it is something like what you mean
> about making a spice_renderer).
> Maybe tomorrow I will have a few more hours of time and do not know
> whether to try anyway to add deferred fps quickly from xspice or
> looking something about weston things you write below.

Unfortunately I must did other things today and I had only short time to
give another fast look to code, I did also another test (to find some
data on how is useful to proceed without waste time), I found high cpu
usage (only one core, like one spice efficiency problem that I had
noticed long ago instead weston ifself) even if without any spice
session, then I enabled spice debug and I see input fps to 967 (with no
spice session and without any screen change I suppose), then deferred
fps seems a good fast workaround to do for start (I'll try to implement
it following xspice next weekend) and try to send only the difference
(where possible) seems probably the best thing as you said.