Introduction and updates from NVIDIA

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Mar 23 10:17:48 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 05:12:52PM -0700, Andy Ritger wrote:
> Thanks for the thorough responses, Daniel.
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 01:49:59PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > Secondly, looking at the compositor-drm case, the use of the dumb
> > buffer to display undefined content as a dummy modeset really makes me
> > uneasy,
>
> Yes, the use of dumb buffer in this patch series is a kludge.  If we
> were going to use drmModeSetCrtc + EGLStreams, I think we'd want to
> pass no fb to drmModeSetCrtc, but that currently gets rejected by DRM.
> Are surface-less modesets intended to be allowable in DRM?  I can hunt
> that down if that is intended to work.  Of course, better to work out
> how EGLStreams should cooperate with atomic KMS.

Side comment: With universal planes (and hence atomic) you can light up a
CRTC without any planes enabled. If your hw can do it. It's supposed to be
black in that case, and there's some pages floating around to control the
background colour (if anyone ever wants to change that ...).
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation