Proposal for Anti-Keystroke Fingerprinting at the Display Server Level

Jasper St. Pierre jstpierre at mecheye.net
Thu Mar 24 18:49:37 UTC 2016

I think this should be done at the application level. If an
application is running, it has many other ways to fingerprint your
computer, including listing the files in your homedir, checking cpuid,
MAC address, etc. The issue here is that there is an application
platform that runs untrusted user code, which has tried hard to get
rid of fingerprinting identifiers (however, I believe window size,
installed fonts and GPU rendering differences remain the primary
fingerprint identifiers at this point for ad networks). The randomness
in the event stream should be done in the air-gap between the trusted
code and the untrusted code.

Too many other use cases require completely accurate timing, and I'm
not convinced a generic solution for defeating trusted code is a good
idea. Perhaps a library can be shared between implementations.

  Jasper