Collaboration on standard Wayland protocol extensions

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Mon Mar 28 23:15:00 UTC 2016

On 28/03/16 23:47, Drew DeVault wrote:
> On 2016-03-28 10:50 PM, Martin Peres wrote:
>>> Client->Server: What features do you support?
>>> Server->Client: These privledged features are available.
>>> Client->Server: I want this feature (nonblocking)
>>> [compositor prompts user to agree]
>>> Server->Client: Yes/no
>>> [compositor enables the use of those protocols for this client]
>> That looks like the bind operation to me. Why do you need a
>> new protocol?
> How do you propose clients would communicate their intentions to
> compositors? I may be misunderstanding.

I was proposing for applications to just bind the interface and see if
it works or not. But Giulio's proposal makes sense because it could be
used to both grant and revoke rights on the fly.

>> So, you are OK with being asked *every time* if you accept that VLC
>> is trying to go fullscreen? I most definitely am not :D
> No, the compositor can remember your choice.

So, you would be asking users to click on "I agree" and "remember my
choice" every time they set up a computer then :D Not nearly as bad, but
still bad.

>> (following what chrome and firefox are doing is likely a good idea).
> I agree, permission management on Firefox is good.

Right, we should really aim for something similar, UX-wise.