Collaboration on standard Wayland protocol extensions

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:09:30 UTC 2016

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 12:01:52 +0800
Jonas Ådahl <jadahl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 11:33:15PM -0400, Drew DeVault wrote:
> > On 2016-03-29 10:30 AM, Jonas Ådahl wrote:
> > > I'm just going to put down my own personal thoughts on these. I mostly
> > > agree with Carsten on all of this. In general, my opinion is that it is
> > > completely pointless to add Wayland protocols for things that has
> > > nothing to do with Wayland what so ever; we have other display protocol
> > > agnostic methods for that that fits much better.
> >
> > I think these features have a lot to do with Wayland, and I still
> > maintain that protocol extensions make sense as a way of doing it. I
> > don't want to commit my users to dbus or something similar and I'd
> > prefer if I didn't have to make something unique to sway. It's probably
> > going to be protocol extensions for some of this stuff and I think it'd
> > be very useful for the same flexibility to be offered by other
> > compositors.
> >
> > > As a rule of thumb, whether a feature needs a Wayland protocol or not,
> > > one can consider whether a client needs to reference a client side
> > > object (such as a surface) on the server. If it needs it, we should add
> > > a Wayland protocol; otherwise not. Another way of seeing it would be
> > > "could this be shared between Wayland/X11/Mir/... then don't do it in
> > > any of those".
> >
> > I prefer to think of it as "who has logical ownership over this resource
> > that they're providing". The compositor has ownership of your output and
> > input devices and so on, and it should be responsible for making them
> > available.
>
> I didn't say the display server shouldn't be the one exposing such an
> API, I just think it is a bad idea to duplicate every display server
> agnostic API for every possible display server protocol.

> > > Why would this ever be a Wayland protocol? If a client needs to capture
> > > its own content it doesn't need to ask the compositor; otherwise it's
> > > the job of the compositor. If there needs to be a complex pipeline setup
> > > that adds sub titles, muxing, sound effects and what not, we should make
> > > use of existing projects that intend to create inter-process video
> > > pipelines (pinos[0] for example).
> > >
> > > FWIW, I believe remote desktop/screen sharing support partly falls under
> > > this category as well, with the exception that it may need input event
> > > injection as well (which of course shouldn't be a Wayland protocol).
> > >
> > > As a side note, for GNOME, I have been working on a org.gnome prefixed
> > > D-Bus protocol for remote desktop that enables the actual remote desktop
> > > things to be implemented in a separate process by providing pinos
> > > streams, and I believe that at some point it would be good to have a
> > > org.freedesktop.* (or equivalent) protocol doing that in a more desktop
> > > agnostic way. Such a protocol could just as well be read-only, and
> > > passed to something like ffmpeg (maybe can even pipe it from gst-launch
> > > directly to ffmpeg if you so wish) in order to do screen recording.

> [...]

For the record, I totally agree with Jonas.

Let's not reinvent existing protocols just because you want to use
Wayland IPC, unless using Wayland IPC is actually a fundamental
requirement for the operation.

The fundamental requirement to use Wayland IPC is precisely the need to
reference Wayland protocol objects, e.g. wl_surface, or the need to
identify a Wayland client (a Wayland connection) without a trusted
third party like a container framework.

Also what I bothered to read from the exhausting thread between Drew
and Carsten, I would agree with Carsten in practically every point.