Collaboration on standard Wayland protocol extensions

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Wed Mar 30 06:28:03 UTC 2016

On 30/03/16 01:12, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 10:50:23PM +0300, Martin Peres wrote:
>> We thus wanted to let distros take care of most of the policies (which
>> does not amount to much and will likely come with the application
>> anyway). However, some distros or devices come with a system
>> that already defines security policies and they will likely not want
>> a proliferation of storage places. Hence why we allowed for
>> multiple backends. But this is an exception rather than the rule.
> Why should every distribution decide on some policy? The default way
> should work sanely and the way that a user would experience it makes
> sense. I help out with Mageia (+GNOME), I'm 98% sure Mageia has 0
> interest in creating/developing such a policy.
In WSM, you can set default behaviours for interfaces. This should cover
your use case.

However, remember this: If it is not the user or the distribution, then
you are basically trusting the developer of the application... which
basically means we are back to the security of X11.

> e.g. Linus complaining about (IIRC) needing to provide a root password
> after plugging in a printer. If we create such a situation again I might
> even understand why he's rants :-P
This would be utterly ridiculous, and this is what we addressed here:
http://mupuf.org/blog/2014/03/18/managing-auth-ui-in-linux/