Collaboration on standard Wayland protocol extensions

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:35:33 UTC 2016

Hi;

On 28 March 2016 at 15:55, Drew DeVault <sir at cmpwn.com> wrote:

> You're still not grasping the scope of this. I want you to run this
> command right now:
>
> man ffmpeg-all
>
> Just read it for a while. You're delusional if you think you can
> feasibly implement all of these features in the compositor. Do you
> honestly want your screen capture tool to be able to add a watermark?
> How about live streaming, some people add a sort of extra UI to read off
> donations and such. The scope of your screen capture tool is increasing
> at an alarming rate if you intend to support all of the features
> currently possible with ffmpeg. How about instead we make a simple
> wayland protocol extension that we can integrate with ffmpeg and OBS and
> imagemagick and so on in a single C file.

Wait, what?

Why do we need an extension protocol for Wayland to add stuff to screen casts?

If you want to add watermarks, use a video editor on the output file.

If you want to add additional stuff on top of a live stream, use
something with a programmable pipeline that can add effects to the
stream coming from the compositor. Why do we need negotiation, or user
interation, or exchange of metadata for this stuff?

[…]

This thread is rapidly approaching escape velocity from all the
architecture astronauting…

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--