Collaboration on standard Wayland protocol extensions

Benoit Gschwind gschwind at gnu-log.net
Thu Mar 31 15:37:10 UTC 2016

Hello Drew,

After reading the thread stream, I think there is two mixed questions in
your email that is missleading. And most reply try to address both in
one reply. I thing Daniel get the point (if I understood him well).

I read the two following questions:

[1] As almost all compositor will need the following features:
- Screen capture
- Output configuration
- More detailed surface roles (should it be floating, is it a modal,
  does it want to draw its own decorations, etc)
- Input device configuration.

It would be nice if we go around a table to define some shared protocol.
For those interested I will start writing an XML spec. you are welcome
to contribute.

[2] This features are mandatory and should be in the core protocol.

If my reading is correct, I reply to [1]:

I'm in, I would like to avoid implements tools that setup screen layout,
keymaping and screen capture. Thus having a protocol to handle those
case is welcome. From my point of view of WM developer (in opposition of
DE developer)

For [2], I suggest that you starting with not-adopted protocol
specification and if they gather enough approval, you try to push it as
_optionnal_ standard protocol. By optionnal I mean the compositor
developer can choose to implement it or not. by standard I mean if a
developer want implement those feature we strongly encouraged developper
to use them instead of providing a new one.

Best regards.

--
Benoit (blocage) Gschwind