history/semantics of uint32_t name

Yong Bakos junk at humanoriented.com
Thu Mar 31 23:48:06 UTC 2016

Hi,
I've been investigating the semantics of the name parameter within the wl_registry interface, prompted by a recent dialog regarding my patch of arg summary attributes in wayland.xml.

I've dug around the Weston source to see what values are passed as the name argument, and where it goes... and I'm at a bit of a loss. This argument is always an integer, and seems like it's just passed around and never even used for anything! I feel like I must be missing something, hence this question: what is this `name` argument in wl_registry_bind, wl_registry_send_global, and wl_registry_send_global_remove? Why is it called name when it is merely a numeric identifier? Shouldn't it be called `id`?

I'd love to see where this argument is used within the weston source, so if you know a file:line you can point me to, I'll add one beer to your queue.

Thank you,
yong