[ANNOUNCE] wayland 1.10.91

Jonas Ådahl jadahl at gmail.com
Thu May 12 02:38:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 12:11:50PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 02:17:23PM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
> > Bryce Harrington <bryce at osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> It looks like someone (pq?) has marked some patches we decided to leave
> for post-1.11 as deferred in patchwork.  I've followed suit and moved
> other patchsets there which are new APIs or that sound like feature
> work.
>
> Following are what remains.  Most of these I think should be deferred
> but am not 100% certain, so would appreciate hearing other people's
> thoughts:
>

> 1. Detect keyboard capabilities, refactor seat capability [Derek]
>    - Awaiting review by jadahl
>    - Over a year old now, probably needs rebased too...

I have completely forgotten about this one, sorry about that. I could
take it upon me to review this if its valuable for 1.11, but as far as I
remember I was not very happy about the internal API changes.

> 2. xdg_popup behavior of input devices [Carlos]
>    - Protocol additions for xdg-shell, needs review by xdg devels
>    - Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
>    - No idea about disposition for this

Any changes to xdg_shell should target the v6, it needs to be rebased.
Might be something good to revisit before finalizing a v6.

> 3. xwayland drag-and-drop window creation [Carlos]
>    - Looks ok to be but xwayland isn't my area
>    - Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
>    - From the commit description sounds WIP-ish and that there was
>      planned some followup work, but not sure if that happened?

This one can have my Acked-by for 1.11 since it avoids crashing weston.
As far as I can tell, wayland<->xwayland dnd is currently broken either
way, and hopefully Carlos can have a look for 1.12.

> 4. Pointer locking (3 patches) [Jonas]
>    - Was planned to land this feature for 1.11
>    - Reviewers requested changes, but I'm not spotting a v2 for this
>    - At a minimum needs updated for trunk, since the protocol files are
>      now in wayland-protocols
>    - I'll mark it 'Changes Requested' and hope it will return for
>      consideration for 1.12.

I won't work on these for 1.11.

> 5. V2 for text input protocol [Jan Arne]
>    - This is intended for wayland-protocols so not really pertinent to
>      the release.  But is on v6 and hasn't received further reviews,
>      perhaps it's time to land it?

There has been some disagreements on various parts being out-of-scope
for said protocol. I think we need to discuss this one further before
landing.

> 6. FreeRDP fixes (6 patches) [David]
>    - Build fixes are suitable for landing now, so I consider at least
>      the first 3 patches here good candidates for including in 1.11
>    - No R-b's other than my own; I'd be more comfortable landing if we
>      had another set of R-b's on this.
>
> 7. compositor-drm clone mode + fixes (8 patches) [Emmanuel]
>    - The fixes look straightforward and probably ok to land
>    - I haven't reviewed the clone mode feature, but offhand judging by
>      the length of the patch it looks like post-1.11 stuff.
>
> 8. get_subsurface double-buffered protocol [pq]
>    - Is getting strong reviews, but also requests for tests &tc.
>    - There is debate on its thread as to whether to land vs. leave for
>      1.12

We are waiting with this one until 1.12.

> 9. Don't set_fullscreen on already fullscreen surfaces [Emmanuel]
>    - Short fix, might be worth including in 1.11
>    - Needs another R-b or two, but may be an easy thing to land
>
> 10. compositor fixes (2 patches) [pq]
> 11. eventdemo fixes (3 patches) [pq]
>    - These sound landable for 1.11 offhand, but I haven't reviewed.
>    - Needs R-b's
>
> 12. ivi_layout_surface API
>    - Straightforward patch, looks fine to me
>    - Not sure about landing new API during feature freeze though
>    - Needs R-b's

For the ones I didn't comment on, I have no input right now.

Jonas