[ANNOUNCE] wayland 1.10.91

Bryce Harrington bryce at osg.samsung.com
Thu May 12 20:02:54 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:38:56AM +0800, Jonas Ådahl wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 12:11:50PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 02:17:23PM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:

> > It looks like someone (pq?) has marked some patches we decided to leave
> > for post-1.11 as deferred in patchwork.  I've followed suit and moved
> > other patchsets there which are new APIs or that sound like feature
> > work.
> >
> > Following are what remains.  Most of these I think should be deferred
> > but am not 100% certain, so would appreciate hearing other people's
> > thoughts:
> >

> > 1. Detect keyboard capabilities, refactor seat capability [Derek]
> >    - Awaiting review by jadahl
> >    - Over a year old now, probably needs rebased too...
>
> I have completely forgotten about this one, sorry about that. I could
> take it upon me to review this if its valuable for 1.11, but as far as I
> remember I was not very happy about the internal API changes.

I expect the turnaround is too short to make it by beta, but given it's
age I think you should put a priority on giving derek feedback on it in
the coming weeks.

I'll mark it postponed for 1.11 though, since sounds like you have some
doubts that you'll need to debate with derek.

> > 2. xdg_popup behavior of input devices [Carlos]
> >    - Protocol additions for xdg-shell, needs review by xdg devels
> >    - Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
> >    - No idea about disposition for this
>
> Any changes to xdg_shell should target the v6, it needs to be rebased.
> Might be something good to revisit before finalizing a v6.

Sounds good, I'll mark as Changes Requested and send a note to Carlos to
retarget it.

> > 3. xwayland drag-and-drop window creation [Carlos]
> >    - Looks ok to be but xwayland isn't my area
> >    - Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
> >    - From the commit description sounds WIP-ish and that there was
> >      planned some followup work, but not sure if that happened?
>
> This one can have my Acked-by for 1.11 since it avoids crashing weston.
> As far as I can tell, wayland<->xwayland dnd is currently broken either
> way, and hopefully Carlos can have a look for 1.12.

Thanks.  I'll put this on the todo list for beta.

> > 4. Pointer locking (3 patches) [Jonas]
> >    - Was planned to land this feature for 1.11
> >    - Reviewers requested changes, but I'm not spotting a v2 for this
> >    - At a minimum needs updated for trunk, since the protocol files are
> >      now in wayland-protocols
> >    - I'll mark it 'Changes Requested' and hope it will return for
> >      consideration for 1.12.
>
> I won't work on these for 1.11.

*Nod*

> > 5. V2 for text input protocol [Jan Arne]
> >    - This is intended for wayland-protocols so not really pertinent to
> >      the release.  But is on v6 and hasn't received further reviews,
> >      perhaps it's time to land it?
>
> There has been some disagreements on various parts being out-of-scope
> for said protocol. I think we need to discuss this one further before
> landing.

Alright, will leave it as is.

> > 8. get_subsurface double-buffered protocol [pq]
> >    - Is getting strong reviews, but also requests for tests &tc.
> >    - There is debate on its thread as to whether to land vs. leave for
> >      1.12
>
> We are waiting with this one until 1.12.

Per pq's response I'll leave this one as is for the moment.

Thanks for looking at these,

Bryce