Shell surface positioning

Jan Synacek jsynacek at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 09:30:45 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm playing around with libwayland-client, implementing a simple
application. I made the middle mouse button move the "window" using
wl_shell_surface_move() when the button is pressed, which works. What
I don't understand, though, is how do I make the compositor position
the "window" when it's created? I would like to position it somewhere
else than 0,0 in monitor coordinates.

Additionally, are clients expected to draw their decorations? If yes,
does that mean creating subsurfaces that respond to pointer events?

Cheers,
--
Jan Synacek
Software Engineer, Red Hat