Weston

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 09:47:39 UTC 2016

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 14:48:53 +0000
Andrea Giammarchi <andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> > why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
>
> I am not sure I understand; that file is a service that's enable via
> systemctl and it launches weston once the graphic is ready, right?
>
> How else would you start weston on boot? Is there already a weston service
> I am missing? That might simplify things for me.

Hi,

you should be starting weston, not weston-launch, when you have a
proper logind. weston-launch is for users who do not have logind
service.

weston-launch does support cases where logind exists, in which case it
remains unused - an extra setuid-root process with no purpose.

> > No, that does not fully work
>
> FWICT benja works already pretty well and for a kiosk like system I think
> the following is enough, or at least it is enough for benja use case ...
> isn't it? Am I missing some configuration?
>
> ```
> [core]
> idle-time=0
> modules=xwayland.so
>
> [shell]
> client=/usr/bin/app

This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client
is a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications
for autolaunch.

> animation=none
> close-animation=none
> startup-animation=none
> locking=false
> ```
>
> > It may appear to work at first, but you will miss the corner cases.
>
> can you please indicate some of these corner cases?

I listed them already.

E.g. if you have a floating window, and you want to resize it by
dragging a pointer, the cursor is left as what the app last set it,
rather than the cursor the compositor would pick.

You cannot have screen locking.

Indications for frozen app windows is missing.

The compositor start-up will take long, because it needs to time out
before fading in since the shell client is not signalling ready. In the
future there might be more things than just fade-in that wait for the
read-signal.

If your app ever goes non-fullscreen, you will see garbage outside the
app window.

You possibly see garbage or glitches during startup if you disable the
fade-in animation.

Maybe mod+tab shows wrong blending as there is no wallpaper.

Those are just what came to mind off-hand, there's possibly more.

So yeah, it probably works for you for now, if you don't pay attention
to details and nothing in apps ever fails. I'd call that fragile.

Thanks
pq