Kinetic scroll in libinput Xorg driver

Christian Stroetmann stroetmann at ontolab.com
Tue Oct 25 12:14:47 UTC 2016

On the 25.10.2016 13:08, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> [...]
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> I really understand the rationales behind this choice nevertheless, it
>> comes with some drawbacks...
>>
>> You say that the kinetic scroll must be implemented by toolkits and
>> applications, this implies to choose at which level? Desktop
>> Environment, Window Manager, End-User Application.
>
> in the wayland protocol, the axis sources are implemented in a similar
> way, enabling the end-user application (or rather, the toolkit) to do
> kinetic scrolling. In the end it's the only one that can do it,
> nothing else has the semantic context required.
>
>>   * In the case of DE, what about users not using one?
>
> ok, this will be unpopular with the internets, but the times of "I
> don't want to have a DE" are over. yes, you can still do it. you can
> run scripts in xinit to set up things, but the vast majority of users
> will need to/want to have a DE running that takes care of things
> dynamically. Hardware has moved on since the 80s, so has the
> functionality we've come to expect. It's not enough anymore to throw a
> few pieces of metal on the ground and say "here's your car". you can
> still do it, but you're now talking about a tiny subset of users that
> want things that way.
>
> so the case of no DE is niche in X, and effectively non-existent in
> wayland (because you *need* a compositor).
>
>>   * In the case of End-User Application, the user will have to define
>>     his friction factor in each one, each using a different
>>     implementation leading to inconsistent behavior... Moreover, it will
>>     be a feature not directly related to the app, and I fear that some
>>     (if not most) will not implement it at all...
>
> then complain to the app. just because we could force it onto apps in
> libinput doesn't mean we should. especially given all the other
> drawbacks.
>
>>   * Finally, my window manager is not ready to change to Wayland
>>     (http://www.mail-archive.com/awesome@naquadah.org/msg05058.html),
>>     and so is far from implementing features lacking from Wayland
>> drivers.
>
> again, a rather unpopular opinion but: change window managers. or
> stick with synaptics, or maintain a patchset on top of
> libinput/xf86-input-libinput (as you pointed out below). I understand
> why awesome can't switch (manpower is the main issue, I guess) but the
> same applies for us having to maintain features we think are a bad
> design decision.
>
> sorry, I don't have any happier solutions for you there. In case of
> emergency, I've heard there are kitten videos on youtube though ;)
>
>> Well, that said, I'm a real newbie about Wayland, libinput and Weston
>> (that I just discovered yesterday). So I think that this question was
>> already debated. If this is the case I'm really interested to see the
>> thread (I didn't find it in the archive).
>
> it's been coming up repeatedly, but I'm not sure there's a single

Similar points were discussed in relation with libinput in the following
threads for example:
[1.] Ignore devices that have joystick buttons; started 25.Nov.2014
[2.] Using Soft Keys with Weston & Libinput; started 04.Feb.2016.

The support for such kinetic UI functions and the support of other
hardware such as gamepads and joysticks will come, definitely. But here
on my side, we are not at the point of implementing something at this time.

Actually, my recommendation so far is to look at e.g. SDL, as discussed
very briefly in [2.] and follow Peter's advices here and there. This
might lead to the investment of some time at first at your side, but in
the long term it is the best way to go.

Best regards
Christian Stroetmann